Friday, May 6, 2011

The Twenty Year Quilt

Quilt laid out on my bed. It is made for a Queen bed, but fits on my King.


In honor of Mother's Day coming up this weekend, I thought I should showcase the amazing talent of my Mother. As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. People ask me where I get my ability to make things and I always say, my parents. Over twenty years ago, my Mother decided that she was going to make me a quilt and that I would have it to go to college. We went together to the store and I remember being so excited to pick out the fabrics for the quilt. College came and went and it was never finished. Mind you, she worked full time, raised three kids, kept a garden and house, and made every meal for the family. It started to become a family joke and a way to tease her that the quilt would never be finished. When she retired several years ago and said that she was going to work on it, I didn't think much of it.


Detail of the border, pattern, and overstitching.


A few months ago, I saw the quilt in some pieces laid out in her bedroom. She said she was working on it again. I told my sister that I planned to go home one weekend and help her do some over stitching. The quilt seemed years away from completion. A few weeks later, she came to visit me with my Father and was really adamant about coming that week. It was a little odd, but I didn't think much of it. So, I was completely surprised when she showed up and gave me the finished the quilt. I got really teary eyed and every time I look at it, I still do. It is beautiful. 
What strikes me about it is that after all these years, I still love all the colors and patterns of the fabrics. I cannot believe how many hours and years she spent working on it. She over stitched, by hand, the whole quilt. If that isn't love, I don't know what is.




She made a bag to store the quilt and keep it dust free. I should also mention that she is a self taught quilter and sewer. She made this quilt from a pattern she found in a Better Homes & Garden magazine in 1990. 
Maman, you are amazing and continually inspiring to me. I love you.

No comments: