Monday, May 9, 2011

Knoll Textile Exhibit At Bard Graduate Center



The exhibit, Knoll Textiles 1945 to 2010, is on view at the Bard Graduate Center from May 18th to July 31st. The show will be covering the history of Knoll's textile division. It ends up that most of the Designers were women. I plan on going to see the show. I am surprised that the opening is after ICFF, International Contemporary Furniture Fair, when most people who would be interested in the show will have already left town. Odd choice.


In the Chaise piece above, I used a traditional Knoll Boucle in Cayenne. Knoll fabric is a joy to work with. Its durable, thick, and easy to sew. This piece was made many years ago and shows no sign of sun fade or wear. I'm more concerned with the foam breaking down before the fabric gives out. Whenever you see an old Knoll furniture piece, usually the fabric has lasted strongly and is just in need of a good cleaning. Knoll has always understood what it takes to make a high traffic piece last. While over the years I have studied a lot about the company's furniture, I welcome the chance to learn about their textile department.

No comments: