Monday, May 16, 2011

ICFF 2011 - Part One

I try to go to ICFF every other year to see what is happening in the USA furniture market. Some years are better then others. This year was neither here nor there. The satellite venues, throughout NYC, have been gaining momentum over the past few years. More of the experimental pieces and installations are being shown at the satellite locations then at ICFF. This isn't a bad thing. It is now defining how designers want their work to be received. ICFF is geared toward the professional Interior Designer, Architect, and Manufacturer. When at ICFF, its about the business of furniture. ICFF also guarantees that a lot of people will see the work. The satellite locations have a smaller more personal feeling and allow the ability to have a more expressive display of design. The work isn't confined to a booth. The environment (store or gallery) becomes part of the whole experience of the work. I didn't have time to explore much of the satellite locations. I wish I could have stayed for several days to explore all the venues. There is so much to see during design week. I was able to go to the Matter opening last night, which was wonderful. I will post about it this week. Below is Part One of highlights from ICFF that I found to be interesting. I should mention that a lot of my photos came out kind of crappy. I'm willing to blame it on the convention center lighting and not me or my IPhone 4. In no particular order -

These pieces are called Candy Pods, by Iglooplay. The furniture line, designed by Lisa Albin, is geared towards children and sophisticated enough to be included in adult rooms. I love all the colors and the matte and shiny mixed together. The stools/pieces are really playful. I can see them in a lot of environments.

In a completely different take on stools, here is a set by Tucker Robbins, the notoriously zen designer. The texture of the weaving on the bases is really interesting. The color choice also works well with the tone of the wood.

Balanced Design is line of fabric, rugs, and pillows. The line is designed and made in the USA using organic fabric and wools. I am especially drawn to the bold patterns on the sofa.


I was excited to see Sandback had a booth. I used to represent them at a showroom I used to work at. Sandback is known for their concrete pieces, which come in a large variety of colors and are perfectly priced.


This new work, by Peter Sandback, is a departure from the concrete line. To follow a designer over the course of a career is really interesting. These pieces are more refined and the proportions are more mature and elegant. Keeping in the Sandback tradition, they are extremely versatile and can be used in a lot of different style interiors. I'm sure this collection is going to do very well. Also, I finally got to meet Peter Sandback yesterday, which was a real pleasure.
Part Two of the ICFF review will be coming up later today.

No comments: