Thursday, February 3, 2011

Shinya Kimura


Shinya Kimura from Adam Richards on Vimeo.


Knowing my passion for motorcycles, my friend, Cheryl Paff sent me this beautiful video on Shinya Kimura. I have seen images of his bikes before, but I have not seen one in person. The motorcycle world is small, so I hope to meet him in the future or at least see one of his creations.
What makes this video effective is that the montage of images show Kimura's interests and inspirations. The lighting and color of the film sets the mood. A shop is a personal space and usually reflects the owner's personality. We are able to get this intimate view of Kimura's life. While he comes across as serious, the shot of him riding a kid's bicycle displays a last laugh quality. It is a quality that also seems to come from the motorcycles. - You don't think this old looking hand made bike will work. Its just here for show. Ha ha, I will show you... - And with that, off he goes.

No comments: